Literary Appreciation

The power of the written word is all around us, even for those who do not read books. It's in the television we watch and the music we listen to. Like him or not, Kanye West is one hell of a writer. The same goes for the writers of some of my favorite shows, such as Veep or Orange is the New Black. Now these writers aren't like Walt Whitman or F. Scott Fitzgerald. They are not creating content that is necessarily viewed at as academically challenging. What they are doing is conveying a message through their words in a way that even the adamant non-reader can understand. Usually this is done through humor or sarcasm.

Here are list of literary gems from pop culture:


1. "You have put this entire office into a salad spinner of fuck." - Amy from Veep

2."Swear I should be locked up for that stupid shit that I did / But I'm a champion, so I turned tragedy to triump / Make music that's fire, spit my soul through the wire" - Kanye West, "Through the Wire" from College Dropout

3.“Who I have been is not who I'm going to be.” ― Mindy from The Mindy Project

4. "Why don't you put on your running shoes and get to the fucking point, Jonah?" - Salina from Veep

5. "The streets ain't made for everybody. That's why they made sidewalks." - Cookie from Empire

And those are only the 5 that I could think of off the top of my head. The truth is, literary genius is all around us. So if you don't like to read books, fear not. Most likely you are appreciating someone's writing, just consuming it through a different medium.

Read on,

Saudia

Comments

Popular Posts