So I've Been Binge Watching Grimm...

...instead of reading books, because why not? It's available for free on Amazon Instant Video and I randomly decided to watch. After all, I have a big book of Grimm's fairy tales. In my head this was a natural sequence of events. So here's what I noticed...


1. This show goes old school Grimm. I was terrified during the first episode, but now it's more interesting than scary.
2. It's like a mix of Supernatural meets Bones.You can't go wrong with either of those.
3. The show takes the German roots of the fairy tales to heart. Most of the terminology used in the show is German. I like that they stay true to the origins.
4. Going back to #1...there is nothing child-friendly about this show. Other shows like Once Upon a Time (which I still love) still remain family-friendly. Grimm doesn't do that.
5. There are 22 episodes in season 1 of the show, each one about 45-50 minutes long. That's entirely too many episodes for 1 season, but I'm still watching...so I guess they win...


Grimm's Fairy Tales
My copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales

I mentioned that I have a big book of Grimm's fairy tales. I got it as a Christmas gift years ago. I haven't made it through all of the stories, but I've read a lot of them. The darkness of these stories always surprises me given that the modern versions are pretty sanitized. Some of my favorites are:

1. Little Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty)
2. Mary's Child
3. Rapunzel

Let me know what your favorite fairy tale is or what you think about the show in the comments!

Read (or watch) on,

Saudia

Comments

Popular Posts