When The Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore

Source: Goodreads

Last year I discovered the author Anna-Marie McLemore when I read her debut novel The Weight of Our Feathers. I loved McLemore’s writing style and the charming love story. So when I had a chance to read her new novel When The Moon Was Ours I really excited to jump right in.

Once again McLemore’s writing style transported me to another realm where magic is obvious and something that’s felt throughout the story. I absolutely loved the story and the themes it touched on. I never realized that ‘magical realism’ was an actual genre, but when you read McLemore’s writing you can see why it’s in a category of its own.

The story can be broken down to contain 3 main ingredients - magic, cultural practices long forgotten and modern-day themes that we’ve only started talking about openly in the 21st century. McLemore does an amazing job of weaving all of those things together seamlessly to create a story worth your time.

I definitely recommend reading When The Moon Was Ours if you’re into magical realism. Or if you know someone who is this would make a great holiday gift!

*Thank you to St. Martin’s Press/Griffin Teen and NetGalley for providing the book.

Comments

Popular Posts