The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey

I read The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey as part of my book club. This is the first book we chose and it was a great choice! Because I read faster (read: I have more time due to my long commute to read) I was given page limits. Page limits suck when the book is good. Eventually I said "screw you page limits" and finished the book within a few days.
The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
Source: Goodreads

The best way I can describe this book is Darwin on crack.

When the book was chosen for book club I skimmed the summary and just jumped right in. Much to my surprise I learned this was a zombie story. Now I'm not really into the whole zombie craze so the minute I realized what I was reading I was concerned, but I kept reading. Basically the whole zombie thing is caused by some sort of infection and there's a lot of "science" behind what's happening. I suppose that would make this a sci-fi novel...

Humanity is explored a lot in the book and at times it was quite heartwarming. One of the main characters in the book, Melanie, is a high functioning zombie child. She basically still has her wits about her and isn't a slave to the infection. This brings about a whole slew of questions around how she is treated by everyone and how she even ended up that way. The story is pretty action packed and fast paced making it an exiting read. The ending was a tad disappointing as it left me with more questions than answers.

If you're into sci-fi and looking for a book that is fast paced, then I suggest reading The Girl With All The Gifts.

Comments

Popular Posts