Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg

I just finished listening to Aziz's Ansari's Modern Romance. That's right, I listened to it. This time around I opted for the audiobook instead of physical book. Ansari himself narrates the book and if you've ever seen his stand-up routine you already know why that's a good thing. The writing itself is humorous, but Ansari's narration makes you feel as if you're at one of his shows...only with a lot more talk about studies and stuff.


Aziz Ansari Modern Romance
Source: Goodreads


What interested me about this book was that it WASN'T a memoir. Typically comedians write memoirs about their lives, but Ansari decided to tackle the topic of Modern Romance through actual studies. He partnered with Eric Klineberg, a sociologist, to accomplish this task. I think that's what makes this book so interesting. It's not just another person spewing theory. There are studies cited, focus groups that were done, statistics involved. 

My favorite part of this book was hearing about all of the focus groups conducted spanning generations and countries. The evolution of "modern romance" is particularly interesting. My favorite analogy in this book is how 30 years ago relationships would start as a simmer and end up at a boil whereas today everyone is looking for boiling water from the start. 

I got the audiobook version of this book from Audible, but I'm sure you can also find a copy of it on Overdrive or from your public library. 

Read on,

Saudia  


Comments

Popular Posts