Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children Book Review

My most recent read this weekend was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I heard about this book on Goodreads (I think) a while back, but it went to the top of my TBR list when I saw it at BookCon. The publisher, Quirky, was there selling books and this one was the one that stood out to me. As much as I wanted to purchase the book right there, I didn't because I wanted to get a good deal. Yes, I love to support the publishing industry and all, but I'm also a girl on a budget. The book retails for $10.95 and Quirky provided a very small discount at BookCon selling it for $10. I ended up buying this book at Strand Bookstore in Union Square for $5.95. They had other copies of the first Miss Peregrine book for around $9, but I grabbed the one with the cheaper tag.



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Source: Goodreads

A quick summary of the book: a 16 year old boy named Jacob goes on an adventure after a family tragedy to find the orphanage his grandfather grew up in as a child. His grandfather told him stories of the children at the orphanage and their special abilities (what made them peculiar.) On his trip Jacob learns that his grandfather wasn't just telling him fairy tales and that there's more to this orphanage than originally believed. 

What I absolutely love about this book is the creep factor. It's not hide under the bed creepy, but it's enough to make your skin crawl and continue reading for more weird details. My favorite characters are Grandpa Portman, Miss Peregrine, and the peculiar children. Oddly enough the main character, Jacob, is not really my favorite. One detail that differentiates this novel from all others is the use of photographs. Throughout the novel you learn about the photos Jacob's grandpa showed him as a child and during his journey Jacob finds more photos. Whenever a photo is mentioned the next page is a print of that photo. These are actual photographs from different collections. From what I read, these photographs were Ransom Riggs' inspiration for the book.


Source: HuffingtonPost
Source: HuffingtonPost



Some things that I would have loved to see in this book are more detail around Grandpa Portman's story and more detail around the bad guys. I felt that Grandpa Portman's part of the story was really short. I also felt like I didn't completely understand what the bad guys were or what they were after, but to be fair this is the first book in the series. It definitely has my attention and I'm looking forward to reading book #2!

If you like creepy fantasy type novels then I think this just might be the book for you. Hope you enjoyed the review!

Read on,

Saudia






Comments

Popular Posts