Suicide Club by Rachel Heng

36434556

Suicide Club has been on my book list for a while and I finally got it from my library. The book is set in the future and humans are able to live very long lives, almost immortal. The main character, Lea, plays by the rules in order to live forever. Her world is turned upside down when she runs into her father for the first time after 88 years.

In this story, we meet people like Lea who want to live forever and will do whatever it takes to accomplish that. We also meet other characters who believe in the right to choose to die. This story was the right mix of mystery and science fiction for me. I'm really into stories like this and nothing felt overly complicated. I also didn't find it to be deeply philosophical and I mean that in the best way possible. The "immortal vs. mortal" life conundrum is posed, which is natural given the plot, however, I never felt like the author gave favor to either side of the argument. Because of the way Heng writes I felt like this existential topic that would normally drive me crazy was actually very palatable.

It took me just 2 days to read this book and at times I felt like I was speeding through it. The plot keeps moving and Heng dwells on each conflict for the right amount of time. When I finished the book I didn't feel like there were any unanswered questions, which is always a great thing. This was an easy and interesting read and I recommend it to anyone looking for something different to read.

Comments

Popular Posts