#TBT: Brooklyn Book Festival

As the cold weather settles into NYC this TBT goes back to the warmer days. During the summer I went to the Brooklyn Book Festival with my friend Jess (DefiningMyWorld) and we had a blast. BKBF is the largest free literary event in NYC. There are TONS of vendors including publishing houses, radio stations, and individual authors. There were also some panels and everything was held outside in the beautiful Borough Hall neighborhood of Brooklyn.

It was my first time in Borough Hall the only way I can describe it is "quintessential Brooklyn post-gentrification." It reminded me of Newbury Street in Boston - shops and restaurants in townhouses and tree lined streets. The weather was perfect that day and it was if the stars aligned because there was a Shake Shack right across the street from the festival, but I'll get into that later.

So, the festival. It was way busier than I thought it would be. I got a couple of free books that look pretty good. Amazon's publishing arm was there, which I thought was a bit ironic. Then again, ebooks haven't exactly taken over the world like people thought they would.

Vendors!

Little A at BKBF
Little A at BKBF

BKBF Book
Free books!

Now, the food. If you haven't had Shake Shack I highly recommend that you try it out. The burgers are delicious. Because the weather was really nice out we got to sit outside and enjoy our meals. After the festival we ended up back in Manhattan to do some shopping then headed home.

BKBF was a really great event and I think it's amazing that they keep it free. I went to BookCon earlier this year and I have to say the only thing that was better at BookCon were the panels. In fact, the only reason I would go back to BookCon would be for another panel with Mindy Kaling, BJ Novak, and Aziz Ansari. BKBF was planned perfectly, there were a wide variety of vendors, and it was in a great location. It's also a great way to get people out to Brooklyn. If you haven't been then start planning your trip for next year!

Comments

Popular Posts