Book Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

For a long time I put off reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I heard about it when it came out and the story sounded intriguing, but very sad. You know, one of those books that makes you stop and think every few pages. Then one day I was browsing at Housing Works and I came across a copy for $1. I couldn't say no, purchased the book, and started reading it that weekend. I finished it in just a few days and I was right - it made me stop and think every few pages.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You is about a young woman named Louisa who ends up taking a job looking after quadriplegic Will Traynor. Louisa is a very normal, if not boring, girl. Will on the other hand led a very vibrant life prior to becoming a quad and is constantly amazed by things Louisa has not experienced. Before the accident Will was an extremely independent man and now he's dependent on everyone around him. This leads him to make some pretty disturbing decisions and Louisa is tasked with convincing him that life has many things to offer him.

Throughout the book Louisa and Will get closer and eventually fall in love. I won't give away the ending, but this book really makes you stop and think about what you are doing with your own life. I found myself even tearing up at certain parts. Moyes wrote the characters so beautifully that you are able to relate to each one in some way. I really did not expect to like this book as much as I did, but I'm a sucker for deep thought out characters.

Another reason that I think I fell for this book is the fact that I bought it used from Housing Works. The book is definitely worn, but that made it feel cozy. You know those idyllic photos of people curled up on a couch reading a book with a hot cup of tea? That's how this book makes me feel. The wear and tear of my book actually seemed to fit the themes of the book perfectly.

If you are looking to read something thought provoking and you're okay with possibly crying at times, then definitely check out Me Before You.

Comments

Popular Posts