Bright Lines by Tanwi Nandini Islam

Looking through Penguin's First To Read books I came across Bright Lines* by Tanwi Nandini Islam. Reading the description I wasn't convinced that I'd like it, but I figured why not read something that different from my usual picks. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back for making a good choice...

Bright Lines by Nandini Tanwi Islam
Source: Goodreads

Bright Lines is about a Bangladeshi family tackling modern day issues and rectifying the mistakes of the past. The novel circles the lives of 3 young women and their families and takes place in Brooklyn and Bangledesh. It's Tanwi Nandini Islam's first book and her eloquent and subtle style makes me want to read more of her work.

At first, I thought the novel was weird and that's due to my own bias.
As a brown person I'm always hesitant about reading novels by other brown people. I think it's because they tend to tackle the issues that are seen as taboo in the brown community and it always feels forced. This novel touches on sex, anxiety, depression, abuse, drugs, trans issues, and just regular family drama. There are a lot of things going on that happen all at once, but it never feels overwhelming. There are times when the story feels slow, but before you know it tragedy and drama come barreling toward you.

Bright Lines was released on August 11th and is a great read for those looking interested in "old school" meets "new school" drama. Definitely check it out and let me know what you think!

Saudia

*I received this book from Penguin First To Read for this review.

Comments

Popular Posts