10 Things to Do When You're in a Reading Rut

Yes. I know. It's been a long time. Between my last post and now I've moved cities (hey there, NYC) and started a new job! It's been quite the month, but I think things have settled down somewhat. At least settled down long enough for me to write. As the title indicates, I've been a reading rut. I think the new book I read was The Haunting of Sunshine Girl. I don't count the The Giver because that was a re-read. Either way, I've been a reading rut. I've tried picking up another book, but just can't seem to get into anything. So, what do I do when I'm in a reading rut?


1. Binge watch any television show until I'm convinced the characters are my friends.

When I come home from work the first thing I do is turn on the television. It's actually the first thing I do when I wake up as well, but I watch the news in the morning so that makes it OK. As you can tell by my last blog post, I was watching Grimm. Well I finished 3 seasons and Amazon Instant Video is making be pay for Season 4 which is NOT happening. Oh well.

2. Watch endless amount of YouTube videos.

My faves are from Buzzfeed and Lipsynch battle. Would I like to watch The Try Guys go through simulated labor pains? Why yes, yes I would. And that Jimmy Fallon sure does know how to make a late-night segment into 30 minutes of fun!

3. Listen to the same song on repeat for days on end.

I'm looking at you Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

4. Dive into Tumblr.

This is actually an everyday habit (like TV) except exacerbated by the fact that no book has caught my interest in over 3 weeks.

5. Finally use those SAT words you were forced to memorize.

Exacerbated. (I actually don't know if this was a SAT word.)

6. Develop an addiction to oranges.

I eat one everyday. Sometimes two if I'm really bored.

7. Buy a ton of books because the covers are pretty, then proceed to complain about how you have too many books to read.

Guilty. One day I'll read them all.

8. Try reading books in a different format.

Paperback, ebook, Kindle, Nook, hardcover. NOTHING HELPS.

9. Look for apartments.

It's such a bad activity that it should motivate you to read a damn book, however the photos are just so pretty...

10. Write a blog post about things to do when you're in a reading rut.

:)

Hope you're all having better luck than I am! One cool thing about my new job is that we have this book program. That means that I can get work-related books sent to my Kindle. It's awesome and I really hope it helps me get out of this rut!

Read on,

Saudia

Comments

Popular Posts